What should I do after I suffer a workplace injury?

On Behalf of | Oct 27, 2014 | Workplace Accidents

Most Oklahoma workers are covered by the workers’ compensation insurance fund. They, along with their families, likely find comfort in knowing that they will receive financial aid in the event of a workplace injury. However, because it is human nature to think such misfortune only happens to others, many injured workers are unprepared and uninformed as to how to proceed after suffering injuries on the job.

Many difficulties in having benefit claims authorized for compensation by the workers’ compensation insurance fund stem from workplace injuries that were not timely reported to supervisors or employers. It is of vital importance to inform your superiors immediately after the injury occurred. The appropriate way to do this is to complete an accident report in writing and have it properly signed and dated. A copy for personal records should be kept in a safe place.

When your employer is informed of the injury, you should request to be sent for medical treatment. Failing your employer sending you for treatment, you should consult with your personal physician, emergency room or clinic. It is important to supply the medical caregiver with accurate and detailed information about the workplace accident and the injuries you suffered.

The claims process for workers’ compensation benefits could be complicated, and many workers in Oklahoma who suffer a workplace injury choose to retain the services of an experienced workers’ compensation attorney. Such a professional will ensure that strict time limits are met. In addition, he or she will explain your rights and work to protect them. The focus of your attorney will be to obtain compensation to cover current and future medical expenses, along with lost wages. A visit to our workers’ compensation website may provide more information on how we can assist you to provide for your family while you are unable to return to work.